The first step in making rabbit stew is catching the rabbit.
The first step in the voyage to actualizing your concepts, plans and visions is registering your business. In Nigeria, that starts at the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC), which has its website at https://services.cac.gov.ng The whole process can now be done online without the need to be physically available at the CAC offices.
We have taken our time to formulate a step-by-step guide on how to register your company with CAC and will assist you on your way to becoming a business owner. To register your business you need to have a functional e-mail address and phone number. Also, to be able to do all the registration online you need to have your ATM card available.
STEPS TO CREATE YOUR ACCOUNT
- Go to https://services.cac.gov.ng The page will be displayed the as shown below.
- Click on the “Register” Tab at the top right corner of the page as shown below
The page displays an account creation page
- Fill the form completely and click on the “Register” button below the page. Note: All required fields are asterisked in red (*)
- Check your inbox for an email verification link sent to you. You may also wish to check your spam folder if verification link not found in your inbox.
- After activating the account Enter your username and password on the fields provided to login
- Click on the “LOGIN” button to submit your credentials as shown below
HOW TO APPLY FOR CAC NAME RESERVATION
- Log in to your CRP account and click on ‘Name Reservation’ menu on the menu bar as shown below
- Click on the ‘New Name Reservation’ sub menu
- Select company from the “Classification” type and select “Private Unlimited Company” from the specific type dropdown
- Enter the company names you intend to search for in the text fields written “Option1” and “Option2” and click on the “Save and Continue” button. Please note that “Option1” is mandatory
- Enter the “Reason for availability search”. You can input data into the column “Additional comment” if you have additional information to input. Note that this is not a mandatory field.
- Click on “Save and Continue”.as shown below
- Enter the details of the Presenter. Please note that required fields are marked with red asterisks (*)
- Review all the details of the information provided. If need to make changes/alterations otherwise click on the “Proceed to payment” button as shown below
Note that details cannot be edited after payment.
- To complete your transaction, click on the “Remita” button as shown below
- Please enter your preferred payment option and card details and click on “Send” to complete the payment process or “Reset” to cancel the process.
Note: CVV is the three-digit number printed behind the Debit/Credit card you intend to make payment with.
- An One Time Password (OTP) will be sent to your registered phone number, input the OTP and Click on the “Submit” button
- Save your Remita Retrieval Reference (RRR) and Transaction Reference
- After payment has been made, to check your application status or your payment status, Return to the home page and click on “Name Reservation”, then click on “My Reservation”. If your payment was successful your application will show download “Payment Receipt”. If payment was not successful your application will show “Payment history” Click on it and it will navigate you to another page where you can either “Make Payment” or manually “Check Status”. If your reserved name has been approved, upon successful payment, use the availability code in the downloaded Payment Receipt to proceed to company registration.
- View your Payment Receipt and click on the payment receipt button to download to your personal computer.
- Confirm that the “Reserved Name” has been approved by the system admin Download the “Approval Note”
- Open the “Approval Note” and copy the “Availability Code”. NOTE: The “Availability Code” is used for Pre-Incorporation.
STEPS TO REGISTER A COMPANY (PRE-INCORPORATION)
Make sure you have your availability code in step 16 above ready.
- Click on “Company Registration” and Select “New Registration” as shown below and Enter your availability code
- Fill in your details where necessary as shown in Figures below and click on “Save and Continue”
- Enter your company details and click on “Save and Continue”
- Add at least two (2) Directors to proceed
- Add the details of the Directors and “Save and Continue”
- Enter the details of the Secretary and “Save and Continue”
- Add Shareholder details to proceed
- NOTE: The total Allotment of the Shareholder is shown. You can Edit, Delete and Add More. Please see the screenshot below. If no further action, click continue to proceed
- NOTE: This is an optional step. You can click “Skip” to proceed to the next stage. Skipping this step will attract a notary fee of N500.
- Enter the details of the “Declaration of Compliance” in the fields shown
- Click on the “Add Object” button to enter the Object to proceed
- Click the “Add Article” button to continue
- NOTE: You can add Paragraph by clicking on the “Add Paragraph” button shown above. When you are done click save.
- Click on the “Continue” button to move on to the next level
- Select the CAC branch, the documents for additional Certified True Copy (CTC), Memorandum and Article of Association and Application for Registration you wish to obtain. After selection then click on “Save and Continue”.
Note: Memorandum and articles of association costs ₦3,000 per copy. Application for registration costs N2000 per copy.
- Click on the “Continue” button to move on to the next level
- Preview all the details entered to ensure that data entered are correct and valid. Below is a sample of the preview on “Company Details”.
- If you are done with the “Preview” and satisfied click on “Proceed to Payment”.
- Take a Preview of the total amount to pay and click on the “Remita” button
- Fill in the card details and click on “Submit” to complete the process. Or “Cancel” to abort to process . After payment has been approved or disapproved you will get a payment receipt. Click on “Return to Home Page” to go back to the portal.
Note: Copy and save your Remita Retrieval Reference (RRR) for reference if needed.
- From your dashboard you can “view company registration”.
- At this stage, you have to proceed to “Pay Stamp Duty”.
- From the “Company Registration” menu click on the “My Registration” as shown below
- Click on the “Stamp Duty Assessment” button and click on the “Request New Assessment” button
- You will be redirected to the Stamp Duty portal. Select the lead director and preferred payment platform and click on the “proceed” button.
- A preview of your payment summary on ISDS. Click on the Continue button.
- Enter your card details and Click submit
- After successful payment, click on “Check Status” button and the “Check status” button changes to “Documents” as shown below.
- Click on the “Documents” button to download your stamped “Memorandum and Articles of Association Documents” and “Application for Registration (CAC 1.1)”.
- Your Company registration process is considered complete.